Saturday, February 27, 2010

Torta Mamon Cebuano


The photo above and the recipe below are courtesy of my online/fb friend Leslie Ruelan (I did have the same recipe shared to me long ago by another online friend/ED nurse Glenn A. through email he sent me, but he did not have photos, and I lost my photos of it when I made them. They are so good!).  Thanks for these generous people who were willing to pass on recipes handed to them through generations. I never really heard of torta cebuana until I met friends online. Just a reminder for those who do not know what to do with the egg whites, turn them into lengua de gato or sans rival (both recipes available in this kusina).

Ingredients:

1 c sugar
10 egg yolks
1/2 c water
1 1/2 tbsp. baking powder
3 c all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. anise powder
1/2 c butter, melted
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 can 300 ml. condensed milk

Procedure:
1.) boil sugar and water for 5 mins. to make a syrup. Set aside to cool.
2.) combine flour and anise powder in a bowl.
3.) pour in melted butter, prepared syrup, oil, condensed milk and egg yolks
4.) stir using mixer until smooth
5.) sift in baking powder
6.) pour into wax paper-lined torta molds and
7.) bake at 350F for 22 mins. or until inserted toothpick comes out clean
8.) brush the top with margarine and sprinkle with refined sugar; enjoy with prepared syrup.

4 comments:

sotsil (sharon) said...

Lory,
Will try this. I can use muffin pans, right? Would you say they're better for breakfast or for dessert?
Actually I was thinking of making your hopia first but medyo mahirap for my amateur fingers so...

Jescel said...

I am from Cebu so I know about Torta Cebuana. However, I've never come across a recipe like this, the procedures are different. I will definitely try this. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Manang,
Do you have a recipe for Kalahi?
Been wanting to make those for a while but couldn't find a recipe.
Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I do not see condensed milk in the ingredients list

Custom Search