Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Salmon Loaf


This is a re-posting from my old kusina. Photos updated as of 7-9-09.

Salmon loaf is one of my husband's favorite seafood recipes (I only know of 3 seafoods that he likes: RED salmon, haddock, and Kippered Herring (canned). He hates squids, doesn't care for shrimps or lobsters or freshwater fishes or even tuna, nor the PINK salmon (which is sad because I love all those!). So, since I have very limited seafood dishes which I can offer to him, I asked my Mom to share the recipe with me. The very day my Mom told me how to make it, I prepared it for supper. My husband excitedly ate it!


The next day, my Mom asked me whether I have tried the recipe. And of course I told her about the previous day. She was impressed that I made it the very day she shared the recipe with me! The impression they got was that I loved my husband that much that I was willing to learn from his Mom those recipes which he used to love so much when he was still living with them. (His ex never made that salmon loaf for him, and never baked rolls for him either.)

Well, what can I say? I do love my husband that much! Besides, the recipe requires very few ingredients and is very easy to make. I once tried to add some powdered garlic and onions (just a tad!) but my husband detected the change in the recipe right away! He really prefers the original recipe...the one he grew up with. Can't blame him there...I would stick to a recipe that I have come to know while growing up.

He loves bringing some leftover to work.

Ingredients:

1 can Red Salmon (Bumble Bee brand)
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 cup saltine crackers, crushed (about 15 pcs)
salt and pepper to taste

Procedure:


Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Lightly grease an 8" x 8" square pan. Prepare the ingredients.
Crush the saltine crackers (may use plastic bag then pound with bottle or use the chopper or blender or food processor). Let soak in milk for at least 5 minutes.
Mix together the rest of the ingredients with the milk-cracker mixture.
Transfer to the greased pan. Bake for 45 minutes.

8 comments:

Dr. Emer said...

Love ko din ang Salmon, Manang. Preferred ko ang sinigang. This is my first time to hear and see a salmon loaf. It looks yummy.

bayibhyap said...

Salmon and tuna are my favorites. Like Dr Emer, this is the first time I have heard of a salmon loaf. It does look delicious, as with all your other recipes.

bayibhyap said...

P.S. Your husband is a real lucky guy!

Manang said...

Yeah...my husband is lucky that I am adventurous when it comes to food. I am the unlucky one for having to bend my cooking style to suit his preferences. But you know what? I don't always have the patience. Sometimes I let him prepare his own food..

bayibhyap said...

I have been eating a lot of salmon lately, mainly stir-fried fillet. I am tempted to ask my wife try out this salmon loaf receipe but I know she has been busy lately. But my favorite is still salmon sashimi with wasabe, which is a no-no with my current liver condition. What a pity.

teri said...

Hi Manang; I would like to try this. My husband loves salmon croquettes but masyado syang mabusisi. I have one question though; do I drain the juice of the salmon? Thanks again.

teri said...

Hi Manang; I love to cook but I don't take down notes Yung salmon croquettes recipe ay ginaya ko lang sa biyenan ko, then I made some revisions to it , the problem is I never take down notes kaya I have to try making it again and if maging successful sya ishare ko sayo. By the way, have you tried using BB pink salmon ? That's what I have right now (I got it on sale $1.50 per can), I wonder if it will still be as good as the red salmon? Thanks ulit.

Manang said...

HI teri! I have not tried the pink salmon kasi hubby only likes the red one (for canned) and haddock (for fresh/frozen). He does not even share my love for wild Atlantic salmon. Buti na lang my kids do.
I used to not write down notes either, but since I started blogging, I had to take note of measurements to properly "teach" especially in baking. With cooking, a lot of my measurements are still approximations; medyo nasanay na lang akong magbigay ng approximate amount when I got to really measure, as in medyo kabisado ko na kung ilang tbsp or cups ang ginamit ko.
aabangan ko pag ready na ang recipe mo :)

Custom Search