Monday, July 07, 2008

Macapuno (Coconut sport strings) Ice Cream


I looked for a recipe for coconut ice cream just to get an idea of how I should tweak it to make it more coconut-ty. Got the original recipe from allrecipes.com and below is my revised recipe.

Before I made this, I asked my MIL and SIL to try the macapuno. They were surprised to find that coconut can be so tender!!! They are used to coconut being chewy, and they are not really a big fan of coconut. But I think I have converted them...Will let them taste this one as soon as I get the time to bring them some.

My husband, as usual, was so-so with the macapuno. He still prefers the Old-fashioned Vanilla Ice Cream, which I made earlier, for our celebration of July 4th.

A note to Debbie:
My sis in Pinas could not find a sorbetero willing to share the recipe for dirty ice cream. I hope you will give this one a try. My Pinay friends definitely rave over this.

Ingredients:

1 cup coconut premium milk (I use Thai brand)
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
2 (14-oz) cans cream of coconut (I use Lopez brand; available in the alcohol section of Hannaford)
3 cups heavy cream
1 jar of macapuno (coconut sport strings; available at Asian/Filipino stores)
Buko pandan flavor (optional)








Macapuno

Buko Pandan Essence


Instructions:

1. Scald milk and coconut milk plus salt over low heat.
2. Remove from heat and add heavy cream and cream of coconut.
3. Chill for at least 4 hours.
4. Freeze using an ice cream maker. (Mine is Rival.)
5. When done, immediately stir in macapuno. (Optional: Add several drops of buko pandan. That's the greenish ice cream in the picture. Personally, I like the plain one.)
6. Freeze overnight. (You might have to stir every 30 minutes or so for the first 4 hours to make sure the macapuno is distributed evenly.)
7. Optional garnishings: additional macapuno, kaong, or nata de coco (available in Asian stores).

No comments:

Custom Search