Monday, December 22, 2008

Cassava Bibingka Espesyal

I got this from stel.
From special cassava (yucca) cake
The first time I made this I used a small pan. Did not have enough space for rising while it baked, nor for the topping to be placed without spilling. It did taste good, and I shared the recipe with my friend's mom. She made it the next year, and I was so delighted with it, and I asked her for the recipe. "That's the recipe you gave me!"

So yesterday, I tried again the second time this year...with all the right
From special cassava (yucca) cake
ingredients, but still managed to end up with small pan (I should have taken note of the lasagna pan measurement; I grabbed an aluminum foil pan in the store which was 13x9; should have been 14 x10, but the next size I saw was that of a roasting pan, so I settled for the smaller one. I did not want to use my ceramic or glass pans as I was using them for something else. Bad decision. It was still good, though, and I mananged to use the remaining topping mix for the leftover, when the top of the cassava cake shrunk as it cooled. I spread the topping mix and broiled for 5 minutes on high.

(For this recipe and that of pichi-pichi, I bought the yucca last week and grated them, pre-measured by the cups then froze until I was ready to bake them.)

Ingredients
4 cups grated cassava/yucca (or 2 packs thawed grated cassava)
1 can (12-oz) of evaporated milk
1 cup cream of coconut (coco lopez or other Spanish brand) (use the remaining for topping)
1 can (14-oz) of condensed milk (subtract 6 tbsps. for topping)
1 can (14-oz) of coconut milk (subtract 6 tbsps. for topping)
5 eggs
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1-2 cups strips of young coconut meat (or 1 jar of drained macapuno strings or a pack of thawed frozen shredded young coconut)

Topping:
remaining coco lopez (7-oz)
6 tbsp condensed milk
6 tbsp coconut milk
2 egg yolks

Instructions:
Blend all ingredients well and pour into a 14x10 baking dish (preferably lined with cleaned and dried banana leaves brushed with butter). Bake at 350 deg F for 40 minutes or until just set.

Meanwhile, prepare topping by blending well all the ingredients.

Increase heat to 400 and pour topping. Bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until topping is brown and bubbly. Watch closely so it does not burn.

Cool completely before cutting into squares.

EDITED:
The following is a recipe that my sis and I used when I was there in Canada on a two-week visit:
Recipe ng cassava:
1/2 cup butter,melted (123 grams)
3 eggs
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup evap milk
3/4 cup condensed milk
3/4 c. coconut milk or evaporated milk
1 cup buko or 1/2 cup Macapuno preserved
5 cups frozen cassava, grated (1kilo) Topping:
3/4 cup coconut milk (use kakang-gata)or evaporated milk mix with 3/4 cup condensed milk Grated quick melt cheese

Procedure:
Mix all ingredients(base). POUR ON 9x13x2" lined baking pan, butered and lined with aluminum foil pan. Bake for 40 mins at 350 degrees F oven. Remove from the oven and pour topping. Bake again for 20 mins or until golden brown.
To attain a darker topping, broil for 3-4 mins or use a blow torch.

And the following is another recipe by my friend Fe -
4 c. grated cassava
1 can (12-oz) evaporated milk
1 can(14-os) coconut milk
1 can(14-oz)  condensed milk
2 cups young coconut

TOPPING:
1 can (12-oz) evaporated milk
1 can(14-oz) coconut milk
1 can (14-oz) condensed milk
2-4 TBSP flour
6 egg yolks
Bring to boil then pour to cassava cake
Broil for 5 minute or until brown

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm I miss eating this manang! My snack sa school during my college days hehehe...by the way, any plan menu for christmas? Me, I think I'm gonna make slow cook pot roast and maybe carrot cake. Plan to make stuff portobello mushrooms too...Merry Christmas manang to you and your family...Hugs, L

iska said...

That looks really yummy, manang.

Anonymous said...

hi, how can you make the coconut cream? i do not think it is available where i live. i only have the coconut milk.thanks

Nina said...

You might want to try Nena Zafra's Cassava Bibingka Recipe http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1913,152164-226193,00.html(actually, this recipe was lifted from Nora Daza's cookbook). I usually prepare half of the recipe only because 7 cups is too much. Connie Veneracion has a modified version of the recipe.

Anonymous said...

salamat ng marami... it's really good timing we're going to have a pinay gathering this sunday... love it talaga..

Anonymous said...

HI this is krestine I am also a doctor in the Phils in Makati Med but my husband, kids and I relocated here in Australia so Im not practicing as one only my Husband ( who is also an Anesthesiologist in the Phils.) is practicing Medicine here. Anyway I just stumbled thru your site thru Google because I was lookingfor Bibingka Cassava recipeand I just tried it now actually (trial testing because I have friends coming over next weekend) and your recipe was totally awesome --even my kids so love it and my daughters australian friend loves it and even asked for the recipe. THanks for sharing your recipe and recipes.... take care and God Bless

krestine said...

Hi Manang, I tried the Cassava again and its a sure winner...I am really your number one fan! Thanks for all the recipes!!! it sure helps me a whole lot for my husband, kids and when we also entertain friends at home:) God Bless

Manang said...

hi krestine,
haha, thanks for being my fan!
Nakaka-motivate ka naman, kaya heto, kahit busy, nakakahanap pa rin ng time mag-post.

Custom Search