Monday, November 24, 2008

Buttery Ensaymada

I should call this buttery eggyolk-y ensaymada.
I am getting so ensaymada'ed out already I could puke (excuse me!), but I just gotta be able to compare the two recipes which vary only in the fat content (shortening versus butter) and the eggyolks.

Honestly, I cannot really choose between the two recipes (Supersoft using shortening and just whole eggs versus Buttery using butter, of course, and 5 eggyolks in addition to 1 whole egg).

Supersoft has the familiar taste of the ensaymada I used to get from bigger bakeries in PI. By itself (without topping), it is okay, but since it is not sweet, the flavor is greatly enhanced once the topping is there, and a bite becomes heavenly. Lasts 2 days or even 3 without getting tough as long as it is kept in plastic at room temp.

Buttery is strikingly special flavored by itself mainly by its very nature...buttery and yolky. Once with the usual topping, it is as heavenly as supersoft, although it is not the taste I was familiar with when it comes to ensaymada bought from the likes of goldilocks. I have yet to observe how long it lasts. It is still soft after a day even when cold.

Now, since i have made lots of ensaymada dough, I thought I'd use some of it for something else special I can create for the Holidays. I came up with pan de coco-cinni (or Coconut-cinnamon rolls) because I accidentally left a pack of grated coconut on the warm floor when I was rearranging my meats in the freezer). I am not assigned to any of the winter holidays, so I will just bring to the gathering some desserts like this or leche flan or egg pie. I will next post the coconut-cinnamon roll and pan de coco-cinni, which my poor husband had to taste-test last night, and he bit with that familiar closing-of-the-eyes expression for something sooo good.
Ingredients:

3+1 +1 + 1 cups bread flour (total 6)
1/2 cup sugar
2 envelopes RapidRise Yeast
1 tablespoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup butter + 1/2 cup softened butter (total 1)
1 cup mashed potato
1 egg
2 + 3 eggyolks (total 5 yolks)
Melted butter (about 1/4 cup) for brushing

Directions

Combine 1 cup flour, sugar, undissolved yeast and salt. Heat milk, water and butter until very warm (120º to130ºF). Gradually add to dry ingredients. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in mashed potato, 1 egg and 2 egg yolks and 1 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Gradually stir in 3 cups flour to make a stiff batter. Detach dough hook from mixer. Cover dough with the hook loosely with plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour. Meanwhile, soften 1/2 cup butter by leaving it out at room temp.

Remove dough from fridge and attach dough hook to mixer. Stir in 3 egg yolks and 1/2 cup softened butter (cut into bits), gradually add 1 cup flour and blend well. Place in greased bowl and cover loosely with plastic and refrigerate for additional 2-24 hours prior to baking (put simply, shape and bake the next day).

Use a GENEROUS amount of flour on the countertop, your hands, and your rolling pin when you start working to shape this dough because it is so STICKY. Shape accordingly (coiled or rolled method -- please see previous post). Brush with (or dip in) melted butter. Let rise for about an hour in a draft-free, warm and preferably moist environment (oven works best - place pans of ensaymada inside, along with a bowl of hot water, turn oven on for one minute then turn off and let the trapped heat hasten the rising. Don't forget to remove from oven once you are ready to bake and you are heating up the oven to the right baking temp.) (This whole batch will probably give you 32-40 pieces depending on the size you want. I suggest you think of ways to use this as master dough for other special desserts/pastries, like pan de coco-cinni up on my next post, or use ube haleya as filling, or make monggo bread which I plan to experiment on sometime later).

Bake at 350 deg F for 12-15 minutes (rotate pans after the first 10 minutes to even out browning) until done and browned to your preference. Take out from oven and brush again with melted butter (helps keep them moist). Enjoy with preferred topping.
If not consuming right away, let cool on wire rack completely then place in ziploc bags without the toppings. For individual servings, zap in microwave for 15 secs, add softened butter, sugar, and cheese. For family servings, cover loosely with foil and bake at 350 deg for 10 minutes.


Posted by Picasa


UPDATE: 9-07-09
Ritchie made and blogged about these ensaymada buns, saying,
Thank God for Kusina ni Manang she has the recipe for ensaymada (brioche) without too much work. Not that I want to eat ensaymada a lot, but because of the challenge in making it and getting the desired result, it became a monkey on my back, until now. You are da bomb manang.

I left a comment there thinking it was the supersoft, and she emailed me back:
Hi Ritchie,
Thanks for trying my recipe and actually liking it. :)
I presumed it was the supersoft ensaymada that you made?...I edited my post on it to include a link to this post.

Actually, it is the buttery one. OMG, it is the best I have ever made in my life. I gave some to my friends today and they said this is the best they have eaten too...hahaActually, it is the buttery one. OMG, it is the best I have ever made in my life. I gave some to my friends today and they said this is the best they have eaten too...haha

Thanks, Ritchie!




18 comments:

Anonymous said...

This recipe looks yummy and I would definitely try making it this weekend. Could you please tell me what cheese you used as topping?

Thank you so much.

Manang said...

Hi anonymous. I used the same sharp cheddar cheese as the one in supersoft ensaymada.

areceli citco said...

hello, i always read your blog, and fascinated with all your recipes. . . i do admire you for having the time & effort to cook knowing you are working as well.can i ask how much (in grams or teaspoon) is the rapid rise yeast per envelope? thank so much & God bless!

Manang said...

Hi areceli!
1 pkg of rapid rise yeast is equivalent to 0.25 oz or 7 g or 2&1/4 tsps.
thanks for the kind words!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. Manang

I have a micro bakery business. I was truly happy discovering your website. Prior to discovering your site, we're having a problem on how to improve our pandesal. Not until I've tested your recipe using s.camote. It's been 3 days now that we're adapting your recipe and it was indeed satisfactorily improved our sales and the quality of our pandesal.

Thank you so much for being so kind sharing your recipe.

Right now I am about to try your supersoft ensaymada. However, I am pending it bec. the yeast in your recipe is not availbale here in the Phils. We are using other brand. Relative to this, may I know the measurement in grams of your 2envelopes of rapid rise yeast so that we can adapt the local brand we are using.

Thank you and I look forward to hear from you soon. God bless.

Pretty Angel

Manang said...

Hi Pretty Angel,

You are so welcome! I am just glad to be of help even to my kababayans back in the Philippines, which is a bonus, since I started this blog aiming to help Filipinas like me in trying to adapt to a new country so they (we) will not get too homesick by making our own comfort foods. I never expected that people in the Philippines would also benefit from my recipes. Some readers have expressed interest in putting up their bakeries since they learned to bake from my website. Nakakataba ng puso :).

To answer your questions, 2 envelopes of rapid rise yeast is equivalent to 0.50 oz (roughly 15 g). If you are going to use active dry yeast, same amount, but you have to change the proofing method and rising time accordingly.

Best of luck in your bakery business!

Anonymous said...

Hi Manang! Good day po...d2 po ako sa kuwait naka stay.mahilig po akong mag luto at mag bake.tatnong ko po kung ano ang pwedeng pamalit sa lard? di ko po alam kung ano un.parang wala kasing akong makita na lard d2. maraming salamat po.

Manang said...

HI Anonymous from Kuwait,
this buttery ensaymada has no lard, but to answer your question, you can look for shortening or purico (maybe you can even try margarine). This lard is oil that is solid in room temp.

Anonymous said...

Manang, you're the best! I started out making SUPERSOFT doing the manual way with the Active Dry Yeast then until I realised I didn't have any cheese so I made 'habol' na lang with butter and egg yolks (after 1 hour of refrigeration, following your BUTTERY ENSAYMADA). Super Sarap Ensaymada! Soft and a little chewy. It was heavenly. Manang, you're a real Angel. :-) Thank you for sharing with us your talent. love, MPC

Manang said...

Hi MPC,
Thank you so much for the feedback and the email with photos. I have posted them under Reader's Photo Gallery.

Anonymous said...

Hi Manang,
Can i make also the dough of both buttery and supersoft in a bread machine or food processor?

Luz said...

Hi Manang,
I made the supersoft ensaymada again with the pandelimon recipe, I added 3 eggyolks and 2 oz. crumbled feta cheese, the last time I just used different cheese, but this time I added feta cheese, masarap at malambot na malambot siya, I love it, medyo sticky lang pero ok lang.
I manage it well naman just added some flour while I shape them into ensaymada(coil shape).

Manang said...

Hi Luz,
Thanks for letting me know that my suggestion to use the pandelimon recipe as basis for BM supersoft ensaymada worked out pretty well!
Tama yun...just add flour to deal with the stickiness.

Anonymous said...

ate if i will bake it next day do i needd to put this in refrigerator or freezer? because as you've said fridge 1 -22 hour di ko ba pwedeng gawin gya nug sa supersoft ensaymada na you can freeze it? how long will it take to rise after i take it out? from refrigerator or freeze? if you wil heat the oven 1 minute. Lastly do i need to cover after shaping while waiting to rise? thanks . dulz

josbookshelf said...

Hi, Manang! Just a wee question before I attempt to make your buttery ensaymada : Is the first rising only after you shape the dough? So is there only one rising time to this recipe?

Manang said...

Hi Jo,
The first rising is when you place the dough in the fridge. By the time you are ready to shape them, this dough should have doubled in size at least.

Rhoda L. of Orange County, CA said...

Hello! I'm a stay-at-home mom and love trying out new recipes. I wanted to let you & your readers know that I tried this ensaymada recipe and it was perfect! Following your instructions to the dot resulted in a moist, buttery, yummy ensaymada. I used a xmas tree pan for one batch using the coiled method, topped with cheese. For the remaining dough, I added chocolate frosting using rolled method. Now I don't have to drive far to Goldilocks or Red Ribbon for ensaymada. Salamat at maligayang pasko!

Manang said...

Hi Rhoda,
Thank you for your feedback on this recipe! It really means to me and to my readers to have comments such as this. I myself look at comments and feedback if I want to try a certain recipe, and it does contribute a lot to my decision making.
That chocolate frosting is a good idea!
Merry Christmas to you!

Custom Search