Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Zyliss Mandolin Slicer; Ground Beef with Green Beans and Corn

This is one of my most useful gadgets/toys in the kitchen.

I use it for mainly making bread and butter pickles, for slicing any vegetable thinly, espcially carrots, cukes, onions. It uses manpower, so less use of electricity, more exercise for the arms.

Last summer, I had lots of green beans and sweet corn that I would harvest daily (kapagod! That's why I told my husband I don't feel like having a veggie garden next year. He said, "Ok, then we will only have cukes and corn. No more tomatoes or beans." Ngek!)

From ground beef with corn and green beans
Well, my kids are not particularly fond of green beans (I love them in bulalo or anything nilaga), until I cooked them this way (which I used to cook back in PI when I was tasked by my aunt/maid as the slicer in the kitchen).

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef (I browned, seasoned with salt and pepper, separated some for my husband's consumption as he likes them plain served with potatoes and broccoli)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, sliced
3 small tomatoes, sliced
2 handfuls of green beans, sliced thinly as shown (quite time-consuming, but the mandolin makes it easier and faster)
1 cup sweet corn kernels (or 1 12-oz can, drained)
some water
basil to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Procedure:
Brown beef; drain excess fat. Add garlic until aromatic, then add onion until translucent. Sprinkle some salt and pepper. Toss the tomatoes in and stir until tomatoes have caramelized. Add the green beans, corn, and some water (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup). Let simmer uncovered for 2 minutes. Season with basil. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Custom Search