Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Shrimp with Chayote (Sayote)

One of my Pinay friends had extra chayote that she purchased from the Asian store and was generous to share them with me.
From shrimp with sayote

One of my favorite dishes to cook with chayote (or sayote) is to sautee it with shrimps. My sons also love them. (Oh please don't ask if my husband liked it. He won't even touch most seafoods!)

Ingredients:

2 tbsp oil for sauteeing
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, sliced,
3 medium tomatoes, sliced
1 lb deveined jumbo shrimps
2 chayote, peeled, seed removed, then sliced thinly as shown
1/4 cup sherry or white wine
1 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
some fresh basil leaves for flavor (or sprinkle dry ground basil)

Instructions:


Heat oil on medium high. Sautee garlic for a minute, then onions until translucent, then add tomatoes and cook until they are caramelized. Add both shrimps and chayote and stir for about 1 minute, then add the wine, let sizzle, then add water, salt and pepper, and basil. Cover and let cook for 2 more minutes or until shrimps and chayote are cooked. Serve hot on a bed of plain rice.

4 comments:

[cookiespink] said...

choosy ako sa veggies.. but chayote is my fave!! we usually add minced pork, pero good idea din shrimps!

Anonymous said...

This is a question. Do you have any recipe for okoy or ukoy (shrimp fritter). You are just fabulous and full of exciting things to share. We love you.

Manang said...

Hi Anonymous,
Thanks for lovin my site :) and for the kind words!
Sadly, I don't have a recipe nor have I tried cooking ukoy. I remember my Nanay or the maid cooking up some when I was still in the Philippines, but I don't have access to the smaller shrimps where I am now. If I use the next larger size, that tends to irritate my throat because of the tougher shell. So now if I will fry the shrimps, I just make use of individual jumbo sized shrimps without the shells. Also, usually when I have the small shrimps good to use for ukoy, I tend to just sautee them in garlic and onions, because my younger son loves that on plain rice.
Pasensya na ha...I am sure there are a lot of good recipes for that on the internet.

Anonymous said...

thanks po sa pagpost ng mga recipe. I am a single woman living in a boarding house, and I like your recipes because they are easy to prepare. Please keep on posting your recipes. :)

Custom Search