Saturday, October 25, 2008

Apple Crisp

One time, after baking two apple pies, I still had extra apples and I was kinda getting tired of making pies, so I searched for another apple recipe, and apple crisp was suggested by my older son, as they sometimes have this at school and likes it. I liked it too when I tried the outcome of the recipe below that I lifted from joyofbaking.com, although it was mainly the topping that I copied. The filling I prepared as I usually do for my apple pie . Hubby liked it as well, especially served while warm, with vanilla ice cream.


Ingredients:
Topping:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated white sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Filling:
8 pcs of apples (I used Cortland) peeled, cored and sliced thinly
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cardamom
1/8 tsp allspice
1/4 teaspoon salt

Procedure:


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and place rack in the center of the oven. Butter or spray with a cooking spray, a 9 x 9 inch baking dish. Set aside.

For Topping: Place all the topping ingredients (flour, sugars, spices, butter, oats, and nuts) in a food processor and process until the mixture is crumbly (looks like coarse meal) and there are no large pieces of butter visible. (This can also be done with two knives or your fingertips.) Set aside while you prepare the filling.

For Filling: Place the apple slices in a large bowl. Toss with the lemon juice and the rest of the ingredients. Transfer to your prepared baking dish. Spread the topping evenly over the apples.

Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes or until bubbly and the topping is golden brown. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 30 minutes before serving.

Serve with softly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Refrigerate leftovers and reheat before serving.
Makes 4 servings

No comments:

Custom Search