Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Lechon Paksiw

To foreigners: Please be warned: Contents and photos might offend you. If you are the type who cringes at the thought of having ligaments and skins in your food, please leave this page.

Notice my cute halloween background? Saw it first in Liz's blog, and followed the link to download the same background for me!
One of my friends roasted pig (lechon) during her birthday. I was on duty that day but I promised to visit her the next day. So I did. She sent home with me a bucketful of leftover lechon. I got to admit I am not a big fan of (tasteless) lechon, except for crunchy skin. But I do love leftovers because I turn them to lechon paksiw. I froze the leftover for a while until my Filipina and friends could get togather again (last week). I did have to browse the net for some basic recipes, and remembering what my Nanay used to do with hers, I added some breadcrumbs to thicken the sauce. I also used the slow cooker, and prepared this the night before the get-together. I had too much (for 4 other Pinays) that even with the take-homes, I still ended up with half the original amount to bring back home. I kept it on keep warm setting at home with occasional stirring and my sons would eat this whenever, for three days! Masarap pero nakakasawa din ha...

Ingredients:
2-3 pounds leftover lechon, cut into big chunks
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 big onion cut into chunks
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp salt (then add more later to taste)
additional water to cover
2 (11.64 oz) jars of Mang Tomas Sarsa ng lechon
additional breadcrumbs for thickening

Procedure:
Place lechon pieces into 3-qt slow cooker. Pour the rest of ingredients except water, sarsa, and breadcrumbs. Cook on slow setting for 2-3 hours. Stir in MT sarsa, add enough breadcrumbs to thicken to desired consistency. Adjust taste with salt as necessary.


No comments:

Custom Search